Q & A With USIS Junior Athlete Sydney Kennett

Q & A With USIS Junior Athlete Sydney Kennett 


How did you first get into the sport of indoor skydiving?

Sydney: “My dad used to show me movies of skydiving growing up so I’ve always been really interested in flying.  He was an old school “free flier” and looked funny sit flying or on his head.  Then he took me.  I remember the first time getting to fly was when I was four years old and I just loved it.  About four years later we started up at what was then called Kids Club at iFLY and that is where I met my first coach and things just took off.  I just loved learning how to fly.”


What was it like to win your first National Championship for Junior Freestyle?

Sydney: “It is honestly very humbling because there are so many great competitors and each bring a unique aspect of flying to their routines.  I think everyone did amazing.”

Who do you train with?

Sydney: “I’ve had many great coaches over the years Preston Drake, Mike Silva, the whole Wittenberg family, all of the Denver crew Alex Critchett, Jordan Boe, Cory Pope, Skylar Callahan, Ben Roane, Allen Sparks, Inka and Leo.  I’ve been very blessed to make so many friends in the sport.  My partner in 2-way Dynamic is Naya Dixon who lives in Oceanside, California.  She is one of my really good friends and its fun to train with her no matter how hard it is.”

Who is your favorite athlete to watch fly aside from yourself?

Sydney: “I watch a lot of Leo Volkov and Inka Tiitto.  I love flexibility in flying.  There are also so many other great fliers throughout the world.”

What’s your favorite part of competing at indoor skydiving competitions?

Sydney: “Seeing all of my friends and getting to goof around for a few days and be lucky enough to have fun competing and flying.  Also being able to see new cities and meet new people.”

What are your future goals in indoor skydiving?

Sydney: “Next year I’ll be competing on the world circuit.  I am nervous but it will be a good learning experience.  I hope to learn and grow.  I also hope that someday the sport is in the Olympics and that I could compete for my country.  I’m also working on learning how to coach which has been an amazing experience.  It’s not easy teaching!”

Are you excited about the future of indoor skydiving, with it’s rise in popularity and the high level in talent that kids such as yourself possess?
Sydney: “Very excited.  Its really cool that in this sport, all generations of fliers get to fly and learn from one another.  The newer kids to the sport are doing awesome and growing fast.  It's such a unique sport that it's hard not to fall in love with it.”

With two IBA Competitions and 2019 Nationals coming up in the next few months how are you preparing yourself?

Sydney: “Lots of training.”

How big a role have your parents played in your young career?

Sydney: “A huge role.  They make so many things happen for me.  I might not have ever gone indoor skydiving if my Dad wasn’t a skydiver either, Who knows!”

Do you play any other sports aside from indoor skydiving?

Sydney:” I ski and snowboard, plus I love my trampoline and ride dirt bikes.”

What’s your favorite things to do outside of indoor skydiving?

Sydney: “I love spending time with Ernie which is related to Bert, Mikey and Alissa Silva’s Brussles Griffon.”

With your 13th birthday coming up next year, how excited are you to compete for a chance to participate at the 2019 World Championship of indoor skydiving?

Sydney: “I have been watching videos of Worlds and the world competitions and its just amazing to watch all of the great fliers, each with their own way of doing it.  I am so excited to possibly have an opportunity to fly at such a level.” 

What’s your favorite part of indoor skydiving?

Sydney: “So many different things, but my favorite is flying with my friends and laughing.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2019 USIS National Championship Final Results

SDC Core Sets New VFS 4-Way Single Round World Record

Official 2018 WCIS US Team Roster