USIS Q & A with 2-Way-Dynamic team Daniel Cordido and Dusty Shaw

In their first time competing together at the 2018 Indoor Skydiving National Championship Danielle Cordido and Dusty Shaw finished fourth in the Open Dynamic-2-way competition. Their placement qualified them for the upcoming 2019 FAI World Cup of Indoor Skydiving, where they will compete against the best flyers in the world.

How did you both get into indoor skydiving?

Daniel: It was sort of an accident. In 2012, I was looking for more work and a friend of mine showed me a job listing for iFLY. I originally applied for a CSR position, but the manager at the time said they needed an instructor. At first, I rejected it because I didn’t know what I was getting into, but after he explained all that went into it I eventually accepted it. 

Dusty: Once I graduated high school I went to get my skydiving license. I applied to iFLY in Austin Texas and they actually denied me at first, so I started bartending and waiting tables. One day I heard about a position opening up, I applied again and got the job.


When did you guys meet? How long did it take until you formed a 2-way dynamic team?

Daniel: I was looking for a teammate about a year ago and he was already competing with somebody else at a different tunnel. He ended up having problems with how far he had to drive to train with his teammate, so we ended up forming a team.

Dusty: I met Danny through one of my friends and we slowly started to connect and now we're best friends.


With this being your first world event, how excited are you to compete at this level?

Dusty: Pretty excited man! It’s going to be a lot of high energy, and we’re really honored to be a part of it and compete.

What’s unique about dynamic flying?

Dusty: Dynamic flying is unique in the fact that your flying with other people. Having to coordinate and figure each other's rhythm’s out, especially in speed rounds, can be challenging. Flying with a partner makes dynamic unique and it’s the reason why we do it.

Daniel: I think Dynamic Flying allows us to be standardized and work towards the same goal. It get’s us both in a state of mind that makes us comfortable with what we are doing.


Who’s the better flyer Dusty or Daniel?

Dusty: I’m going to go ahead and say, Danny, he’s the one that taught me how to back-fly. I’m starting to become my own unique style flyer, but when people ask I usually like to but heads with him and say I’m the better flyer.

Daniel: I judge flying on the creativity aspect, and how an individual can show that off. I think Dusty has definitely proven himself, and I think we are on more of a level playing field.

What was your favorite part of competing at 2018 Nationals at iFLY Va Beach?

Daniel: Meeting people, I felt like I was at a high school reunion and everybody was either prom king or prom queen because it seemed like everyone knew each other and everyone was having a really good time. Nothing could disrupt the high energy and fun vibe.

What’s your favorite part of indoor skydiving? Why do you participate in the sport?

Dusty: It’s a progressive sport that you can’t get good at right away. Every time you fly you get a little bit better and its addictive. I also love flying with other people. I get to fly and talk with Danny to improve and I love that we get to expand the sport.

Daniel: The fact that everyone can do it. People of almost all physical backgrounds can fly. I have a very busy mind and I think a lot, but when I’m flying it feels like I’m meditating.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2019 USIS National Championship Final Results

SDC Core Sets New VFS 4-Way Single Round World Record

Official 2018 WCIS US Team Roster